Saturday, April 21, 2012

leveling little chr in instance...how...does it work?

I have a 59 prot pally and a friend has an 18 mage.

He asked me to run him thru DM 2-3 times so he could get exp and maybe some blues.

Fine with me, so off we went. He did get items but very little exp. Is there a way to boost his exp I really thought he would get a level with me clearing it out. He got about 5 bars...what did we do wrong?

thanks for info if I can get something going correctly I will help him some more and even do others as well.|||Yeah that sounds about right.

For him to get great exp, you'd have to run something where the mobs are about 10+ levels over him. Getting 63-183 exp per mob during a run through (of a level appropriate instance for the mage)is standard, the higher the instance the more the exp. Though I believe there comes a time where the level is too high and he wont get exp (I tried this before with a friend in fellwood when I was 20'ish and didn't get any exp from the mobs - so watch killing too high of things) Also, make sure he's always just enough in range to get exp from all the mobs. In this case I'd head on over RFK, RFD, Gnomer, or SM (SM should last him a little while for the run throughs). As a leveling mage, the loot tables are much better in these instances anyways.|||generally if your alot higher lvl than some-one and your running them through a low ass instance then they will receive alot less XP than normal, he probably would have gotten more XP running with players his own lvl, generally lowbies get high level players to run them through stuff just for the loot.|||One thing to mention, as lothaer pointed out, most instance runs are more for the loot than for the exp because as I mentioned - he'll get that little bit of exp (which he could get more just killing mobs himself). If you want to help level him up more quickly I've found that power questing is awesome. Pick a zone and just burn through the quests with him - you could complete 10+ quests for him in under an hour (once you have cords). This works pretty nicely too, then run him through an instance when he has a bunch of quests to complete within them.|||So it looks like exp in instances is based on level of me as well as him. I thought at first he was just too far away but that didn't do much either, I was just trying to keep him from getting killed.

Since DM is a 20+ instance did that effect it more?

I guess the wand and staff are all he can get out of DM that will help him. Don't think there is anything in Stockades that would do him any good.|||Quote:








So it looks like exp in instances is based on level of me as well as him. I thought at first he was just too far away but that didn't do much either, I was just trying to keep him from getting killed.

Since DM is a 20+ instance did that effect it more?

I guess the wand and staff are all he can get out of DM that will help him. Don't think there is anything in Stockades that would do him any good.




Not just instances. Any exp generated while grouping w a high level char is trimmed down.

Stockades is crap for loot, take him to Gnomeregan once he won't die from proximity aggro. Great loot all around. Of special noteworthyness is a handy thing called [item]Hydrocane[/item].|||thanks I will as soon as he gets a few levels. I am going one more time hoping he can get the spoon, its not anything big but he wants it bad. I should change to enchanting and just pick up everything and disenchant it.

I have never been to Gnomeregan but will take him there too(what level ?)

heck where is the entrance LOL|||Quote:








I have never been to Gnomeregan but will take him there too(what level ?)

heck where is the entrance LOL




Follow the road downhill from the IronForge entrance then take the road going west. It leads you right to it.

Also, you could try finding a spot with a lot of mobs close by (obviously can't do this in an instance). Be ungrouped with your friend. (use Vent or create a chat channel in WoW so you can use WoW voice to communicate) Stand between him and the mobs (preferably mobs several levels higher than him but not so high that they agro before he can get within wand or casting range) Let him pull/tag the mobs and you kill them. He will get the exp and it will come a lot faster with you killing.|||Quote:








thanks I will as soon as he gets a few levels. I am going one more time hoping he can get the spoon, its not anything big but he wants it bad.




I'm guessing you mean [item]Cookie's Stirring Rod[/item]? It's an awesome wand for it's level (there's only one better before going over the level 20 bump) but let him know he'll replace it within a few levels, and probably with a green. It's great for twinks or if you get it on a normal run but that's about it IMO. Good luck!

Gnomer is located here with further info here.

A brief list of old world dungeons here|||In order to really make the exp/minute worth it you need to be killing F.A.S.T.

No comments:

Post a Comment