Saturday, April 21, 2012

PvP geared DPS viable for raids?

My main is a healer and my 1st and 2nd alts are a prot warrior and prot pally. Now I'm working on leveling a rogue and mage. I was wondering if a DPSer in PvP gear is as effective for raids as a PvE geared DPSer.|||Quote:








My main is a healer and my 1st and 2nd alts are a prot warrior and prot pally. Now I'm working on leveling a rogue and mage. I was wondering if a DPSer in PvP gear is as effective for raids as a PvE geared DPSer.




Short answer, no not as effective.

Long answer, viable yes but not as effective.

The best dpsr's seem to have a mix of both. Some pvp pieces are great for pve.|||Depends on the level of raids, and the levels of PvP gear.

S1 gear ain't gonna be too hot, apart from the weapon.

S3 gear can blow t5 out of the water in a few slots.|||Depends totally on the class and the gear.

Most ret S1 gear, even vindicator's scaled gear is great. Other pieces simply cannot compare. Take a look and see what the recommended gear is and see how it compares.

Hell, I made a spreadsheet to rank all my pre kara gear options, ranked it according to a scoring system I made. PvP gear was tops in a few spots, comparable in most, and subpar in a few.

Remember that most PvP gear is very light on +hit, so if your class relies heavily on it, you will probably be gimped there.|||PvP gear might make nice filler for weak spots in a DPSers gear, or for a lack of STA if you find yourself too fragile and unable to adapt, but for the most slots/classes/specs it's not best in slot even if you just consider 5-man, quest, and craftable loot. The spell caster PvP weapons are quite nice for DPS, as are some of the other weapons, provided you're not giving up too much +Hit.

I've got four lvl 70s, none of whom have gotten lucky with raid drops yet and aren't yet buried in badges of justice, so I've looked at PvP (both honor and arena) loot for each of them to get them more raid-viable. Oh, and all comments are concerning gearing up for entry-level raiding. Most of the PvP gear loses ground fast when you start comparing it to T4/T5/T6, though as pointed out, some items stay viable for quite some time depending on class/spec.

My holy priest has some PvP gear, mostly to bump up her STA. She's in PMC/Whitemend/Boots of the Long Road, and there's nothing in PvP rewards that comes close to any of those pieces for raid healing. She is in the PvP healing necklace (though that might get replaced by the healing necklace coming in 2.4) and uses the PvP healing wand (except in her MP5 gear). The Arena gloves and Honor wrists wouldn't be bad upgrades, and I think the Honor ring might be another possibility, but each of those would reduce her MP5, so aren't always appropriate.

My warlock is similarly geared (tailored epics where available, close to best in slot quest gear in other slots), and every piece of Gladiator armor out there would be an increase in STA, but at a cost of spell damage. I did get her the spellblade, and I'm working on the offhand. I lost a little bit of hit, but gained huge amounts of spell damage there. She's also in the honor spell damage neck, honor wrist, and working towards the honor spell damage ring (oddly enough, a decrease in stamina and an increase in spell damage). I'll probably pick up the vengeful gladiator gloves, just to make fear kiting more viable on those occasions that I have to do so in raids, but other than that, I'll be banking my arena points for the next season or longer.

My feral druid isn't in the best pre-raid/pre-heroic tanking gear, but isn't too far off from most of it, either. Still, the S3 Arena armor is an upgrade in 4 out of 5 slots when you look at the four important things to a feral tank. 1) uncrittability (not actually an issue, but it lets me swap out items with Defense on them in other slots), 2) large amounts of armor, 3) large amounts of stamina, and 4) large amounts of AGI for dodge. Now, this same thing probably doesn't hold true for non-feral tanks, because Def is far more important to them than to a feral druid (who can't block or parry and there goes half the benefit of defense), plus they don't get as much dodge from AGI.

To be honest, however, the real benefit to arena gear for feral druids is that the same item can often be the best tanking item and the best DPS item you have available to you at this stage, saving inventory slots and making it easier to switch from tanking to DPSing during a fight, though you then have to decide whether tanking or DPSing gets priority for gemming/enchanting.

For my hunter, most of the PvP gear would be a minor upgrade (occasionally better than minor), but my hunter is also my worst geared character, so that's not surprising. Even then, I have to be careful as to what PvP gear I decide to go for, as dropping his MP5 really hurts his DPS in long fights unless I start chaining mana potions.|||The weapons are great. The first thing you should do as a new 70 rogue is go buy the S1 weapons for 27k Honor (If the S2 weapons are out for honor by time you ding 70, get those of course).

The armor, for a rogue is not very good for raids. Resilience is useless in raids, stamina isn't that key and you lose +hit. So, if you're talking comparable level PvE and PvP gear the PvP stuff is inferior except for a couple of slots (helm). If your choice is a quest green, then yeah the epic PvP piece will likely be better. But you can start raiding in all blues and do just fine. The thing is this - you want at leas 150 to hit when you start Kara... that's easy to do in well chosen blues. It would probably be very hard in all PvP stuff.|||Oh, I should point out that I was talking about the latest S3 Vengeful when referring to gladiator gear, and Vindicator's when referring to the honor gear. The epic weapons are always worth looking at, at least, for a DPS characters. The non-epic gear that's going to be available through non-PvP rep vendors in the 2.4 patch isn't worth looking at for PvE, you should be able to do better than that just from quest rewards and non-epic BoE crafting for the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment