Saturday, April 14, 2012

Ony down, some minor questions

[:1]So, I logged on to quest a bit in the Basin (questing while skinning = fastest gold gain for me) and I thought "Ony = ilvl 232 / 245 gear for one single encounter, might as well sign up".

So I opened LFG, added me to the 10 and 25-man version (we didn't have WG, so no VoA either), wrote some spiffy ad about my gear in the comment and off I was questing.

No more than 5 minutes later I get an invite (ugh, a blind one at that). Appeared to be a 10-man (I asked "Ony10?" to be sure). We take a while to fill up (priest healer is still in a heroic, priest healer on last boss, priest healer joins, priest healer is locked, pally healer joins) and we get summoning.

"Everyone know the fight" RL asks?

I thought "I've read the fight millions of time since WoW Classic, seen dozens of videos, I've read up on the changes I should be good"

I said "I know the fight, never completed it though". Which was the truth.

After the trash it's on. Tank runs ahead. Turns Ony north. I stay way back to avoid tail swipe. Not long after that I see a NE (not sure, was too fast) fly across the room. RIGHT into the whelp-cave!

I don't panic. OT picks whelps up, ranged AoEs 'em down. Continue on Onyxia. Somewhere along the way RL dies. I Rebirth him. Top him up a bit. Continue on Ony.

Low mana warning?? Oh yeah, still in NE-form. Shift to bommkin, Innervate self and off we go again.

She takes off. Boy is she hard to target that high. Mage eats a nasty fireball and dies, no more Rebirth from me, but another druid (there were three of us) has one left.

Deep breath (my very first !! woot) and I run to the, to my knowledge, safest place. behind her. BAM! I go from 22k hp to a slimmer left !! Run towards the healers before I get a FB up my tail.

Meanwhile adds are piling up and need some loving. Loving being Hurricane-spam. Continue on Onyxia. I see myself climbing the threat-ladder and suddenly Omen warns me, 100% Ony attacking me. I am now pelted w Fireballs all the time and they are barely scratching my hp (why did the Mage die so quickly??).

Shortly after Ony lands. Things seem more under control despite Bellowing Roar messing w my rotations but why is it taking so long? Seems dpsers have steadily been dropping (even the OT, but he got the last Rebirth). Some of the dead remarked "lol, 2 healer, 2 tanks and 1 dps". ME! . "It's a whipe" another one calls out.

I boldly continue on Onyxia (and adds when applicable). Does she have an enrage? Can't be, this is taking forever. Nevertheless I keep dps-ing and her hp keeps dropping.

DINNGGGG!! Achievement. Onyxia is dead.

After rezzing it's Loot Time ! Emblems of Triumph, some plate and mail and one "Stormrage Cover". iLVL 232 w Balance written all over it (in my eyes anyway), but I remember that my T8.5 helm was the BiS for me so I passed. One druid rolled. Crap rolls on the sack of emblems and the 22-slot bag (bugger).

So after this wall of text my questions are:

- Why did the mage die so quickly? Should he respec Ice Barrier, pop that, Mage Shield and Mage Armor and get a PW:S asap? Or am I so "awesome" to be able to tank 'em?

- If a hunter comes along and puts his pet on Ony, will it get behind Ony and get 10% chance (provided it has the AoE Avoidance talent) to get swiped into a whelp cave or will it dps Ony's sides and be safe? Or are pets exempt from Tail Swipe?|||If the mage died from a fireball then he does not have enough health a single fireball should'nt kill you, did the mage go from 100% to 0% or was he at low health to begin with?

AFAIK hunter pets are considered melee and melee are unable to attack Ony during phase 2 now thats why Melee goto the Guards and Range stay on Ony (After the whelps are dead.)|||I've seen a couple of pets get knocked into the cave and never getting any adds. I think they might be imune.

As you learnt from your experience, you are not safe from deep breath when you stand behind her. She fires from the corner she is in to the opposite corner, so the adjacent corners are the safe spots.

Don't worry about aggro in phase 2. She picks out random targets.|||Well, had she had aggro in Phase 2 seems having a ranged tank might have been useful. A lock pumped up on fire res and spamming Searing Pain...|||Good job Wintrow! Boomkin armor to that of a mage isn't comparable at all. I grant you though that mage should have been better spec'd. Ony's Fireball Fireball — Two second cast, random target in the raid. 10 yard AoE. About 5,000 damage unresisted. > http://www.wowwiki.com/Onyxia_(tactics), Mage had to have been down hp.|||When we downed Ony-10 man Tuesday night (yay for us, lol, tho it did take several wipes to figure it all out again), the hunter's pet was getting knocked straight back. As our tank had his back to the north wall, directly opposite the tunnel entrance, no adds were ever acquired by this action. Can't swear it will always be this way but we did notice it occurring because we had some concerns over where the pet would land as we knew he would be in the rear attacking.|||Quote:








Well, had she had aggro in Phase 2 seems having a ranged tank might have been useful. A lock pumped up on fire res and spamming Searing Pain...




The old Onyxia did have an Aggro table at least in P2. The Fireballs go to the one with the highest threat and reduce their threat by a number. (Used to be 5k, no clue how much it currently is.)|||If the mage died from fireball he was way under 50% health to start with. It only hits you for 20%ish, even in 25.

I don't think she has an agro table P2 anymore because with dps in full 25 reg and heroic gear I was getting targeted and hit with fire as a resto druid.

We take at least 3 hunters with us and when their pets get knocked back they never pull. Must be immune.|||Thanks for the confirmation|||Quote:








- Why did the mage die so quickly? Should he respec Ice Barrier, pop that, Mage Shield and Mage Armor and get a PW:S asap? Or am I so "awesome" to be able to tank 'em?




As others have said, he must have been on low health already. He certainly should not respec Ice Barrier, he'd have to go far too far into the frost tree to get that to have a viable pve spec at the moment (wait till next patch though). Fire ward and mana shield would have helped him a bit, but it sounds like he was just unlucky to be hit when on low health and without a PW:S on him.


Quote:




- If a hunter comes along and puts his pet on Ony, will it get behind Ony and get 10% chance (provided it has the AoE Avoidance talent) to get swiped into a whelp cave or will it dps Ony's sides and be safe? Or are pets exempt from Tail Swipe?




Pets are immune to these sorts of thing; when my mage was still my main I worried terribly about using mirror image on Thaddius as I was scared they'd cross charges with people, but they're just disregarded for that sort of effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment