Thursday, April 12, 2012

Instance/Boss Difficulty

[:1]This may be a somewhat dumb series of questions, but to be quite honest, I have very very rarely run instances, especially when I am of the appropriate level. I've done a number of them solo after the fact, but overall I've just not been the grouping type.

However, it's become one of those things where I do realize that the better stuff drops from the high level instances - my level 80 DK, while getting fairly well stocked on PvP armor and such and overall my strongest character, is definitely behind the game in terms of weapons and more PvE oriented gear.

Being relatively inexperienced to running instances, especially ones at my level, however, makes me apprehensive about using the new random dungeon feature, even though that likely will increase my odds of actually getting into a group (I mean, really - if I advertise LFG as a DPS with little experience or without strong PvE gear, I figure I'll be laughed out of the group, if I even get one...) Plus, the overall obsession over gear score hinders me moreso.

What are some "easier" endgame WotLK dungeons to shoot for? How well do you absolutely need to know the fights? Are there truly PUGs out there willing to be more helpful than get frustrated at my relative lack of experience in those areas? Obviously Heroics and/or raids are probably not the best option for me yet; but the random dungeon feature promises some better gear upgrades (I know it's not all about gear; I figure I am adequate in skill, so gear will make up some of the difference, imho).

I just overall have tended to prefer the solo experience. But it really seems like Blizzard is pushing more grouping, and I'd actually like to see some of the endgame content, if only to experience it.

Thoughts? Suggestions?|||As a fresh L80 dps you qualify for any heroic. Really. Gear is not a factor. Especially if you have good PvP gear since that too has dps stats.

Knowing the fights and plain common sense (get out of the "fire", don't pull aggro) is a lot more important. As such I recommend reading up on www.wowwiki.com and when getting into it you play the strong silent type and follow the pack.

Also, don't drop Death and Decay before the tank has some decent threat and don't taunt mobs.

You may have use for your pvp experience in saving a squishier teammate from casters (taunt + anti-magic shell).|||Quote:








As a fresh L80 dps you qualify for any heroic. Really. Gear is not a factor. Especially if you have good PvP gear since that too has dps stats.




No you don't. I dinged 80 with my Rogue this weekend, and the LFG tool will not allow me to queue for heroics, or the new 5-mans introduced in patch 3.3.

Of course, that doesn't stop you getting a group manually, but it's fairly safe to say that a freshly dinged 80 that hasn't run any instances in Northrend yet will not have the gearscore to be able to use the LFG tool for heroics.|||Have to agree with Davemetalhead above.

A freshly-dinged L80 should be cutting his/her teeth on the normal instances, not going straight for HCs. Once they've geared up on those, and bought a few epics from the AH to get their values up, they can go for HCs.

An HC group can carry a weak DPS, but a freshly-dinged tank or healer being too ambitious and going for HCs will ruin the run for 4 other people if they can�t hold aggro or produce enough mana.

I wasted most of last night queuing for pug runs in HoR HC. 7 or 8 times groups were formed with weak tanks or healers - I ended up spending well over 100g on repairs because other group members, in every group that I joined, simply weren't up to it. Most of the groups couldn�t even get past the first couple of waves of mobs � they knew what to do but couldn�t cope with a L232 5-man.

When I�ve done it with a competent guild group we whistle through it.

HoR is a level or two above the old HCs, admittedly, but at the very least a new L80 player should do all the dungeons on normal before working through the HCs.

And then, when into HCs, start with easy ones like VH, UK, Nexus and work up to ToC (seen that wiped sooo many times because people just didn't have the gear to do it). Don�t even consider doing the new Icecrown HCs until ToC HC seems easy.

The loot level should be indicative of how hard they are.

Normal dungeons � blues. Most HCs � level 200. ToC HC � 219. New IC runs normal � 219. New IC runs HC � 232.

Right now people are using the dungeon finder to join things they just aren�t ready for (because leaders can�t check gear or experience) and to be honest it�s plain selfish.

I was told that the groups are formed with total gearscore (between all 5) taken into account. That means that if 3 good dps are in the queue, they could get a really weak tank or healer. In one of the Icecrown HC groups I joined last night all 3 dps had gearscores of 5000-5200, and we were given a tank all in blues!

�Walk before you can run� is an expression that springs to mind. If Blizz have put in some kind of gear filter as suggested above, they need to set it stricter. From now on I am inspecting gear when a group forms and either leaving to rejoin the queue or kicking a weakling who shouldn�t be there.|||I'm actually not freshly dinged at 80... I've been 80 for most of the year... (actually, she's my second character at 80 - my first is a hunter that I've barely played since he dinged...)

I guess I am just apprehensive that my inexperience will be offsetting to groups, but it's impossible to get experience running those instances without doing them... I just don't want to get going on something like that, and then get booted out because I'm not as experienced (which may be obvious early on if I'm not understanding the fight)|||Dusk, we've all been through that and any (reasonable and good-natured) player will be happy to give advice to somebody who just says to the group "hey guys, my first time in here please let me know specific boss tactics".

We all have to start somewhere, but there are things we all should do first.

First, Google is our friend, so it should only take 15 or 20 minutes to check up google/youtube for tactics on bosses you plan to encounter. For raids, use Youtube and check out videos made by Tankspot- they are superb instructional commentaries.

Second, gear. People will not expect you to carry the 'Epic' ach when you're doing normal instances, because they are a stepping stone, but by the time you get to HCs you will be expected to have a good mix of mostly Epic items. Remember there is a lot of good BoE and crafted epic gear on the AH, and prices have plummeted for all the level 200, 213 and 226 items you can purchase since the latest couple of patches introduced 245 and above items.

Use the auctionhouse, make some money and spend cash to upgrade.

It's also worth looking at which instances drop items that you can really make best use of, and run those instances every day until the item drops for you.

Third, be realistic. Don't join a ToC HC group if you want to tank with less than 540 def, or dps with less than 2k damage. You will be as popular as a fart in a spacesuit (for other HCs, 2k dps is absolutely plenty though some leaders will want more if they are trying to get specific achievements inside the instance).

Also, while other players should be happy to give advice to a 'noob' who is in a dungeon for the first time, that may not apply if you're in an HC with poor gear and haven't even run it on normal.

So, do all the instances on normal and get some drops that way, buy what you can from the AH, then work your way up to the harder HCs.|||Some of you guys do remember that original WotlK heroics drop ilvl 200 BLUES from most bosses. You do not need to be in epics for any of those heroics.

You do need better gear before you can do Heroic ToC, or the new Icecrown instances, but you don't need to be in better gear than the instance drops. H-HoR isn't about gear, it's about playing smart. Use some crowd control instead of brute forcing it, and players in Heroic ToC5/Uld 10 level gear can do just fine.



To the original poster: if you don't have any dungeon experience, then I wouldn't jump right into heroics. Que up for some random normal dungeons, let people know you are new. If someone kicks you for that, its not a group you would have enjoyed anyhow. Move onto the next. None of it is very hard. 90% of what you need to know about dungeons and raids is "don't stand in the stuff that hurts."|||It sounds like the folks here are potentially more forgiving than listening in on chat in WoW would have you think - there's this huge obsession with gearscore, checking everything before you even get into a regular PUG, let alone one doing heroics (and as for ToC, etc - I know those aren't where I should be yet).

Thanks for the advice and commentary. Technically I think all of my DK's gear is iLvl 213 or better, all purples with maybe one exception. It's just so much is PvP oriented that I was concerned that any group inspecting me would be less inclined to keep me in the group. The most I've done at my level, technically, have been the holiday bosses, which aren't really that tough, and I've soloed a few 5 man Northrend quests in Icecrown and the Amphitheatre of Anguish...

Thanks!|||213 PvP gear will be more than ample for you to go and DPS HCs - but I assume you won't be tanking.

Have you measured your DPS on a target dummy in a main city? Without using your main cooldowns, just nuke the target with everything you have and see how high your DPS goes (you will need Recount, a very useful addon, and also Omen threat meter if you want to get more into instances). You'll probably be around 2k with the sort of gear you mention, which is quite good enough for HCs and nearly there for ToC HC.

As Cattleya says, there are (still) plenty of L200 blue drops in HCs which are as good as some of the L200 epics, so as I said having a good mix of epic items is fine - if yours is all 213 or better, and your talent build is sorted, all you need is experience.|||Quote:








No you don't. I dinged 80 with my Rogue this weekend, and the LFG tool will not allow me to queue for heroics, or the new 5-mans introduced in patch 3.3.

Of course, that doesn't stop you getting a group manually, but it's fairly safe to say that a freshly dinged 80 that hasn't run any instances in Northrend yet will not have the gearscore to be able to use the LFG tool for heroics.




K, didn't know that .

I'll be getting my next L80 through some normals first then (still a long way off as well, might not happen before Cataclysm)

No comments:

Post a Comment