Saturday, April 14, 2012

Just need to vent

[:1]Wednesday night, I get a tell from high level guild member/raid leader asking if I'm going to do U 10 Thursday Night (last night). I normally run raids every night but was watching the College World Series first 3 nights this week and skipped all guild activities. GEAUX TIGERS!

So, I went and signed up and got confirmed. Raid leader basically picked 10 people he wanted to go to form a group that could get through the first 5 bosses in a hurry.

8pm Thursday came and raid invites went out but only 7 of the people showed up. The raid leader wasn't the GM but the GM was one of the people that didn't show up as well as main tank and the mage.

I should note that this isn't a weak raiding guild. We have Naxx 25 on farm and can clear it in 6 hours including Saph and KT.

Anyway, I have had a/c problems and didn't sleep well Wed night so I was tired, even more tired sitting and waiting for people to show up.

GM finally logs on at 9:45 and I had already told raid leader that 11pm was my cut off but I was fading fast due to poor sleep the previous night. I thanked the raid group and logged out of the raid and ported to dal to empty my bags before logging.

I got a tell from GM asking if I could come to U10. I so wanted to tell him to go pound sand, but politely declined. Then I got another tell that they really needed me. I explained that I'd been in raid group waiting for the people that signed up for an hour and 45 min and I was going to bed and logged off.

What really pissed me off was that the GM showed up almost 2 hours late like nothing. "Hey guys, what's happening, anything going on tonight?".

I really like the guys in the guild and the guild but the worst part if the guild is the time it takes us to actually start any raid.

What would you have done?

I didn't actually just sit and wait for 2 hours, I waited about 30 minutes and finally decided to go do some herbing.|||Seems like you handled it ok (stood your ground without getting into it with GM or others). What is the history with this guild, does this happen often or was it just a one-time thing? If they're chronically late and unreliable then I see your frustration. Otherwise, maybe you stay and accept that these things happen from time to time. I would expect, though, that the GM would admit his error and apologize to the group.|||It's a cronic problem but it's never been an hour and a half. Our Naxx25 raid time is 8pm with invites starting at 7:45. By the time we get to first pull, it's usually 8:30 or 8:45 due to lateness. This was the first time though that a 10 person group had been specifically chosen. The GM was the 8th person to get there. The main tank and mage hadn't shown up when I split. The GM is typically the last person we are waiting on for all raids. Sometimes we just go without him.

With that said, the MT is usually ALWAYS on so him not showing up must have been an emergency. The mage is a different story but the raid leader did mention that the mage was excited and asked the previous day not to leave with out him.|||1. Let people know including the GM what you expect out of invite and attendance.

2. Find a guild that respects your time as much as their own.

We have a 10 minute waiting policy for our 25 man dkp raids. If you are over 10 minutes late for an invite, we find a replacement. We aren't exactly hardcore 11/14 U25, but we still try to respect the other people who log on at the right time.|||Honestly, from this and some of the other things you have posted, I'd be looking at finding a new guild. It sounds like the leadership in your guild is pretty flaky, and it causes some serious issues. I don't really see that changing, and so sitting around waiting for things to get better is just going to mean more time sitting around being frustrated.

So, you have to decide what you want to get out of the game. If raiding is something you really want to do and spend significant time on, look for another guild. 6 hours for a Naxx 25 clear is actually quite slow. It tells me that either people aren't doing what they need to do and causing wipes, you are consistently bringing new people who need every fight explained, or you have chronic AFKing.

Of course, the other option is to just stay. In that case though, you will need to adjust your expectations. You know that the GM is going to be late and flaky. You know that the loot system is screwy. So, if you want to stay, it's imperative that you not let these things bother you. Just focus on hanging out with people you have fun with, and chill out on the other stuff. If you can't do that (and I'll be honest, I couldn't) you are back to looking for a new guild.

I know it can be hard to leave the friends you have made in a guild behind, but staying in a guild that is regularly sending you to a forum to vent is not going to help those friendships in the long run. Leaving on good terms is better than waiting for your frustration to build up to the point where you explode and end up burning bridges.|||/agree with rgirty and catt. If the guild's not going to do what rgirty says (the RL should have been finding replacements WAY earlier), then leave. Having people logon right at raid time is a bit annoying since it means you have to summon, buff, etc, but espeically if the raid starts early for some people that happens. But 30 mins or more? That's BS.

I get the feeling from this and other stuff you've posted that the guild has a core group of a few friends who started this and then invited others, but that they're not really a serious guild - not in progression, but in how they run. The basics of running a guild aren't hard - use a loot system that benefits the raid, if you use DKP be consistent and think about things like inflation etc. Show up to raids on time. IF you're going to be late or can't make it, let someone know if at all possible (even if that's a post on the forums). It's basic respect for people. They're not doing it and likely never will, so in your shoes I'd move on.|||Welcome to my world .

I used to sit and wait for people to show up now I leave after 30 minutes of waiting. I usually find a pug and run with them. I have been in some great pugs as well as some crappy ones but at least I get to play.|||Seen this again and again. Some people invest time and wait, others just do what they want.

If you are serious about raiding, and expect others to show up in time, prepared and ready, find a guild that is serious about raiding. No other way realy.|||There are many guilds recruiting right now because people are bored. 3-4 guilds on my server have fallen apart and we have tons of apps every week.

We do raids at 7. Invites are at 6:30 and we pull(or get into our vehicles) by 7 on the dot. If you aren't on by 6:50, someone on standby has your spot unles you have a reason. And if you will be late, your character better be parked outside Uld ready to walk in and start right when you log.

If you don't like unorganization it probably wouldn't be to hard to find another guild. Guilds like that have a hard time surviving in the long run. Most of your guild probably feels the exact same way you do =)|||I don't sign up for a ton of raids (well, to be honest, I just started raiding at L80, but I did plenty at L70), but when I do I'm AT LEAST online on time (may need a summon). But I'll have everything on me to get right into action. Even then I don't expect a raid to wait for me any longer than the announced start-time and I'll be honest and upfront about it if/when I mess up.

No comments:

Post a Comment