Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My first Kara Run

Hello all,

So last night, after just dropping skinning for engineering, I'm trying to get the goggles because Helm of the Claw http://wowdigger.com/item/view/28182/helm-of-the-claw is not that good. Anyway, as I'm out it Durotar mining copper, I get a whisper from an old guildmate who was in Kara with his new guild. He tells me they had some DPS drop and was wondering if I would like to go.

Oh I have a rogue btw. I'd link my armory, but I logged out in PvP gear.

Anyway, back to my story. My old guildie asks me to go to Kara with them. They were about half way done so I said sure why not, but I told him I had never run kara before. I was invited anyway and I get there and they had just downed Curator. So we start to clear some trash and everything is going well. Then, we get to Ilhoof, I was really excited, I was like alright I'm going to down my first Kara boss and everything is going to go great. I knew this guild had been there before and I trusted that they knew what they were doing and how to do it well, Mjolnir on Shadowmoon I believe was their guild name.

So we start Ilhoof after the strategy was laid out for me so I knew what to do and it was like we had never played before. No one was attacking the minion at the beginning and then the hunters were not attacking the chains with the melee when they popped up. So we wiped. We wiped again on our second try and then someone said something about the "Demon Chains macro" and once everyone had it, the third try was cake and we downed him no problem. We were all excited, I killed my first kara boss and they were happy to have killed him.

Next we fight through the trash towards shade which we had no problem with. Our pally tank was great never had any threat/aggro problems. So we get to shade and then everything goes to hell again we wipe once and then a lock leaves so we find a hunter and we wipe to more times. The entire raid is flipping out. I guess according to the "Kara experienced" players, Shade was "unnerfed."

Basically, what he did was cast Blizzard and then summon his elementals while casting it and then right after he would either use arcane explosion or flame wreath and I can definitely say that that was horrible and completely OP. So after 4 tries we decide to skip him. The raid at this point had been in for around 6-6.5 hours me maybe 1 hour.

So we proceed to do Chess and here is where I get the shaft. I pick a wolf and then cannot figure out what to do. I can't figure out the controls, which I assume to be the same as a pet bar. Anyway, my wolf dies and I glitch and get set back down the the curator's room and have to run all the way back. Well the king is dead by then and since I was running i didn't get the kill, which means no badges and no loot which happened to be the Bladed Shoulderpads of the Merciless: http://wowdigger.com/item/view/28755...-the-merciless so the raid leader opens a ticket with a GM and hopefully sorted it out and my shoulders, yes they are mine since i was the only rogue left, are hopefully in the mail along with my badges. I have the gladiator's S1 shoulders right now. So after chess the raid decided to skip all other bosses and go right to Prince.

Now Price was a fight I had seen maybe once a while ago in a video, but I remembered nothing about it so I died in the first min because of his ability to reduce health to zero, forgot name, and then arcane explosion for 3k. Anyway, the rest of the raid got him to around 50% before wiping because of Infernal placement. The second attempt was much better, we got him to phase 3 (around 27% i think) before the infernals killed us and then the third time 2 of our 3 healers that we had just for prince died and all that was left was a holy pally who did well keeping the tank up which meant no one else got any heals. So I got hit with 2 arcane explosions for 6k total which left my health at 200 i think because I have bad gear since this was my first kara run. So i potted and healthstoned and then got hit by another explosion which left me with approximately 500 health and no other way to heal, when the healer hit me with a big heal so I was at around 50%. I got hit with a 4th explosion, which knocked me to 1k health and the explosion pushed me into the air like all the others only this time, it dropped me between two infernals and I died.

So after this third wipe and approximately 8 hours for this guild, the leader called it and my first Kara run was over. Now don't think that this is bad because it took eight hours to not kill prince because they said they only had about 4 players total that stayed for the entire raid, many kept leaving so they had to constantly keep finding new people. So even though it was not a full run, and all I got out of it was 2 badges, I had so much fun and the awesome thing about it is later that night when i went back to my engineering, the raid lead whispered me and invited me into his guild. So now hopefully I will be raiding with these guys more often and I can actually see the entire instance and get some better gear.

Sorry this post was so long winded, but I had such a good time that I had to tell everyone here about it and I would like to hear about your first Kara runs and to see what they were like.

OH! and also has anyone had the same trouble with Shade recently??|||Isn't it great to get into new content? Doesn't even have to be completely sucessful, just nice to feel like you progressed and saw new stuff.

Over the last few months I've been involved in my guild's 1st kills on Prince, Mag, Lurker, VoidReaver - every time has been a blast. 5 wipes or not. Even learning the new enouncters that we've not finished yet is fun.

GL on your next venture in there! Lots more fun to be had yet!|||If Shade of Aran summoned elementals then sheeped you, then the raid leader either didn't know how to (or didn't try to) avoid that, or everyone was ignoring him. Basically, the elementals spawn at 40% health, and the sheeping happens at 20% mana. The raid leader needs to coordinate things so that doesn't happen at the same time.

As for Prince, while it's a melee-hostile fight, I seldom have to heal any of our melee toons. I think that just comes from practice, though.|||Grats on your first time visit to one of the greatest instances in WoW (imo, can't say for highlevel ones as i've not been there yet)

and grats on your new guild. :)

I still remember my first bosskill on attumen/midnight, where we did 3 or 4 tries before we could od there trahs good/fast enought to engage the boss before the adds respawned.

and the first gruul kill .. oh boy was it fantastic :D

hope your Wow experience only goes up from here :)

do the wipes, do the time it takes, and suddenly you're decked out in nice new purple shinies and having an fun time doing the instance without the "learning-curve-pressure".|||We've been falling through the floor after chess, during our badge clears, to curators room since 2.4.

GM should sort out your shoulders. They did it two times in one week for us over ZA loot.|||I had a ZA loot problem: 1) was dead but didn't release, some moron looted, not on master loot for some frigging reason, I passed. 2) got rez and went to loot my badges. 3) received leather belt even though I did not get a BOP warning + having already passed didn't save me.

GM fixed it upon request, though it took several days.|||congrats on getting in and seeing it, and lucky you not being there for that whole ordeal, ugh, 8 hours? that is no fun at all

we were in TK once for almost that long, I never wanted to go back there|||We haven't had any problems with Shade. Like Beruen said, the elementals always pop when he's at 40% health, and the sheeping occurs at 20% mana (if you allow him to get down that far; usually we kill him before he can sheep). The raid leader needs to coordinate things so these don't happen at the same time. If you have good DPS you can avoid the sheeping part altogether by killing him before his mana gets that low.

The other parts are pretty routine. When he does his blizzard announce, everyone just runs to the middle, then to the outer edge of where the blizzard is being cast, and then when it starts moving, people move with it. If you are facing the outer wall, you'd have the blizzard off your right shoulder. You can stay behind the blizzard pretty easily since it always moves clockwise around the room. Flame wreath is another easy one though frustrating from meleers; simply stay off your movement keys completely during this part, even if this means you're out of the action for a little while as a meleer. It's better to lose a little DPS than blow up the raid. If you have a warlock in party, the warlock can banish one elemental and keep another feared; you can cast banish "over the shoulder" during a flame wreath just by panning the camera, since banish is not a line of sight spell.

Prince is frustrating because it's so dependent on luck. A few weeks ago, my weekend Kara party (which can normally clear Kara entirely in two and a half to three hours) could not get Prince down after five attempts simply because we were getting absolute rotten luck with the infernal drops. Last weekend, they all obligingly dropped far away from us and we got him down on the first attempt without ever having to move.

But of course we didn't start out on the turbo-clear. I can remember when we first went into Kara about a month after TBC was released, and we wiped all evening on the trash leading to Attuman. Ah, the memories...

...Ren|||I suspect you were just with a badly-prepared group- hopefully things will be smoother next time. When leading people who don't know the instance, folks are supposed to brief the new people about what's going on.

Shade of Aran is always a bit of a stumbling block the first couple of times you see it- he has several different abilities to get used to. It's not complex, but it's slightly different to the normal five man tank and spank. Don't worry, it will all be fine in the end :)

Hope you have a less messy experience next time, and that the GMs restore your shoulders for you!|||Noice dude. my first time was so much fun. good luck in future

No comments:

Post a Comment