Monday, April 16, 2012

Upper Pinnacle

I was trying to heal this last night and had a bad experiance. So I'm half asking for help and half venting.

(the help me part)

We got to the part where you need the harpoons to shoot down the boss, but we kept wiping. I kept getting agro from the casters that the tank didn't pick up. What's the best way to get this part done without me dying?

(the venting)

So yeah they all blame me for the wipe. Lots of things going bad in there. The two druids would just aoe zerg everything even before the tank was on the adds so they would pull like four guys and sink like a rock. I'd always die before the tank so I figure I was doing my job just fine. There was no marking and no cc in there so sometimes the tank would take a big hit. They weren't exactly making it easy for me.|||Quote:








I kept getting agro from the casters that the tank didn't pick up.

I'd always die before the tank so I figure I was doing my job just fine.




ditch the tank. Looks like he didnt keep the bad guys away from you how he should.|||Quote:








ditch the tank. Looks like he didnt keep the bad guys away from you how he should.




Not necessarily true. If the dpsers are hitting the mobs before the tank can even tag them, they will draw aggro and die pretty fast. I've been a boomkin and know that we don't take hits very well. If they started getting hit, they could've barskinned up, rooted, and continued fighting. If they just thought doing aoe was all they needed to, then I would've let them die.

When those guys are coming out and the tank can't grab them all, give up on aoe.|||I've seen that healer aggro problem on the skadi gauntlet as well, but only at the end. The problem is that the casters can see you from where they spawn, so they start spamming spells at you without moving out where the tank was noticing them.

Lately we've been resetting the boss after we get harpoons, and it's been going much smoother since the fight at the end of the gauntlet just isn't lasting as long.|||Heroic or regular? ON regular it's not that hard if people keep their heads on and play their role. It sounds like that's their issue this time... dps that doesn't let the tank get aggro.

In heroic it's the same thing, but the breath of the dragon hits and ticks for 5k on cloth, so 3 ticks = dead player.

This is actually one of the few things I think Blizzard got wrong - too many of the early regular instances are too easy - you can run them with no CC, etc. People get in that mode and forget that they need to actually play as a group and not just AOE everything.|||Yeah i'm playing regular. How do we reset the boss?

Should the tank run all the way to the guns and agro the room? I think our tank was under the impression that the adds would stop, but I don't think they do.

The boomer was the one that would drop real quick after using her wave of whatever. The cat druid I kept up a little longer. I tried to LoS the casters so they would run into our tank but that didn't work. The shadow bolts went through the wall.|||There are two ways to do it...

1) Run in, the boss emotes, flies away... grab mobs and kill them, always moving to the end of the hall. Kill the mobs, grab harpoons and use them when the boss is in range (you'll see an alert).

2) Tank runs in, boss emotes... tank runs back out to the previous room where everyone has stayed. Then the group runs to the end of the hall... boss will be back where he starts... a dps runs to him to start the event. This way everyone is already at the end and you can harpoon a bit faster.

Honestly there' not much difference. With tanks all able to do some AoE threat generation, it's not the hassle that gauntlets used to be.

You shouldn't need trick to keep people up as long as they let the tank get and keep aggro and get the heck out of the dragon's breath. The dps absolutely cannot get aggro (duh, kick dps that does) and they can't stand in the dragon's breath. Either of those is stupid. It's the tank's job to grab the mobs too... if you were needing to try to get them on the tank he/she wasn't doing their job.|||Quote:








Yeah i'm playing regular. How do we reset the boss?

Should the tank run all the way to the guns and agro the room? I think our tank was under the impression that the adds would stop, but I don't think they do.

The boomer was the one that would drop real quick after using her wave of whatever. The cat druid I kept up a little longer. I tried to LoS the casters so they would run into our tank but that didn't work. The shadow bolts went through the wall.




The mobs will sometimes run past the tank. Been there a couple of times where they went straight for the healer. Dps should lead them back to the tank, and if anything, sacrifice themselves to keep the healer alive. And definitely keep them out of the breath.

I've seen people still stand in it after they have been told not to. They usually die and I don't blame the healer. You're going to cause the healer too much work. Your main focus is the tank and you. Of course, I usually die because I forget to watch my own health.|||Actually, I think Clevins is close to the way we do it on heroic, but not spot on. Basically, we fight at the near end of the gauntlet picking up harpoons until we've got enough to drop the boss, then we go back into the room just before the gauntlet to reset the boss. This means it's easy to pick up the harpoons, because even on heroic, unless your DPS is asleep, you'll never be fighting more than two of the trash mobs, and the dragon's breath doesn't reach all the way down to the end of the gauntlet, eliminating that complication. If anything, this phase is slow enough to be boring.

Then, as soon as the boss resets, we all run back into the gauntlet, past where the boss will respawn, all the way down to where the harpoon guns are. We then have a fast-moving DPSer (hunter, rogue, druid, etc) go down and trigger the boss, and sprint back up. You'll have a very brief AoE-fest as about 12 of the trash mobs spawn, but as soon as you've got them under control enough, you can shoot down the boss. We usually focus on the remaining trash mobs, then move to the boss at this point.

Doing this makes it much easier to get the two achievements related to this boss. The first is killing him within 3 minutes of starting the event. Before we started doing it this way, we often didn't get enough harpoons to shoot him down until too late to make that deadline. The second is to do all the damage to the drake in a single pass (which doesn't have to be the first pass). Having a large stockpile of harpoons when you do decide to bring him down is important to this one, but this only helps, it doesn't feel as essential, as you can always farm the trash to get the harpoons any way you want, just as long as noone fires off a harpoon early.

I know groups that are good enough to consider just about any heroic an AoE-fest, but I'm not part of those groups usually. I'm happy to CC what we can on harder trash, though even I feel the "just pull the whole room and nuke them" urge on easier trash.|||Steve it just sounds like you had a bad tank and bad dps that didn't know what they were doing.

Personally when I tank it I just run all the way to the end and pick up all of the initial mobs that spawn. Aoe tank, aoe kill. Then there's just the pack of 3 that sits at the end and the the regular spawns of 2. It's not a case of gear either, I did this from day 1 in level 70 gear and wotlk blues.

It is one of the more difficult encounters in heroics (yay!) and it requires people to be on their toes. Unfortunately the zergfest that the wow has become tends to dulls peoples wits for when something challenging comes along.

No comments:

Post a Comment