Monday, April 16, 2012

Voice Chat and Instances

I was invited to a pug last night to do some heroics. Now, I've recently respecced balance until I get more healing gear so my dps isn't going to be the greatest.

I had my headset on like normal and soon as I entered the group, I could hear them talking. Which is normal but when I group up, I always check to see who is in voice chat. I still continue to type to communicate.

These two guys must've been friends and were just talking while going on, and then they started talking about who was doing what kind of damage. I'll admit I was the lowest or tied with the tank (who was one of the guys talking). They then started saying how I needed to improve my gear (hello, why else would I be doing heroics besides rep farming). I just couldn't help but laugh as I listened to these guys.

First off, you can't measure your dps on trash. They go down fast and unless you have powerful instant cast spells, you don't create much damage.

Of course, in the second instance where I just aoe'ed the crap out of everything and ranked 2nd on the list, they never said a word about who was doing what damage. So a lesson to you, if you are on voice chat, make sure to look who is listening before you talk about them.|||haha... that's funny. And dps... yeah most people like to stroke themselves if they're high on the meters. The number of tanks esp who will say "DPS sucks... they're not even doing 2000!" amuses me. If I could put out 2000dps in a five man across the instance... I wouldn't be there for gear. People are still in the late TBC mindset when a lot of us outgeared things by a lot and forget that I'm not running stuff because I'm bored, I'm there to get gear (or badges and rep so I can um... get gear).|||Quote:








haha... that's funny. And dps... yeah most people like to stroke themselves if they're high on the meters. The number of tanks esp who will say "DPS sucks... they're not even doing 2000!" amuses me. If I could put out 2000dps in a five man across the instance... I wouldn't be there for gear. People are still in the late TBC mindset when a lot of us outgeared things by a lot and forget that I'm not running stuff because I'm bored, I'm there to get gear (or badges and rep so I can um... get gear).




actualy, yes i do more than 2000 dps trough a instance and yes, i am there for gear.

2000 dps was impressive at lvl 70. At lvl 80 it is normal. No offence to anyone who does not put out 2000 dps, you may still clear the instance. But you certainly dont get the maximum out of your char.|||Sigh... Twoflower, what's your gear like? Oh hold it... you're in more than half Naxx/badge/heroic epics. You're not running heroics for the gear as much as someone who's mostly in blues still.

And your attitude is one of the problems - it's basically 'l2play, you suck if you're not doing what I am' while completely ignoring that most people are still gearing up and are, in a lot of cases, not as well geared as you are. Certainly knowing rotations and having a good spec will help, but you're always limited by gear... once you optimize rotations and spec well, that's what is left.

My GL is a shadow priest as am I... he puts out higher dps than I... why? Well, he's close friends with the MT and he and a few others rushed to 80 and dedicated time to running heroics and doing some PUG Naxx while the rest of us hit 80. His spellpower is 250 higher than mine, his crit is 3% higher. He's a good player, yes, but not really much better than I... but he's noticeable better geared. If you look at my gear or the OP's we're more in blues than epics and, for myself at least, I'm simply not running as many heroics as other people. I'll get there, but it will take a bit more time. In the meantime, repeat after me... if things die quickly and efficiently and you clear the instance with few or no deaths, it's fine. Meters are to help you optimize, not to show off.|||I have a simple rule:

"Don't spam DPS meter reports, unless you want me to start spamming Care-O-Meter macro."|||Quote:








Sigh... Twoflower, what's your gear like? Oh hold it... you're in more than half Naxx/badge/heroic epics. You're not running heroics for the gear as much as someone who's mostly in blues still.

And your attitude is one of the problems - it's basically 'l2play, you suck if you're not doing what I am' while completely ignoring that most people are still gearing up and are, in a lot of cases, not as well geared as you are. Certainly knowing rotations and having a good spec will help, but you're always limited by gear... once you optimize rotations and spec well, that's what is left.

My GL is a shadow priest as am I... he puts out higher dps than I... why? Well, he's close friends with the MT and he and a few others rushed to 80 and dedicated time to running heroics and doing some PUG Naxx while the rest of us hit 80. His spellpower is 250 higher than mine, his crit is 3% higher. He's a good player, yes, but not really much better than I... but he's noticeable better geared. If you look at my gear or the OP's we're more in blues than epics and, for myself at least, I'm simply not running as many heroics as other people. I'll get there, but it will take a bit more time. In the meantime, repeat after me... if things die quickly and efficiently and you clear the instance with few or no deaths, it's fine. Meters are to help you optimize, not to show off.




i have not raided since wrath except the occasional pickup group.

i have still lvl 70 items. I even have a green item. I still have lvl 70 enchants. Your blue lvl 80 items are better than my epic lvl 70 items.

i run heroics for the drops. and i still need more than 200 badges from heroics for gear upgrades.

I am simply showing the relations. I dont say you suck, and i certainly dont say you have to play as i do. All i say is that there are some clever minds over at Elitist jerks and they found out pretty exactly what is possible. I dont come anywhere near what they calculate to be possible ( 5.5k dps, sheesh -.- ) but i try. And i watch my recount window and i see regularly numbers over 2k. Hell, i almost hit 2k when i am farming or doing daily quests solo.

All i say is that once you optimise rotations etc, you will hit 2k DPS once you have some lvl 80 blues on your char. Once you have a epic char, you will hit 3k or 4k.

And i dont mean this to show off. I mean this as a reminder to keep optimising your performance and not hide behind excuses about gear :P I am not the guy posting damage meters all the raid. But i keep them running and check my performance from time to time.|||I think my favorite voice chat "oops" was someone I knew who was always chatting away in vent and never noticed that he had the in game voice chat on. It was always fun to hear his end of the conversation and how much better he was than the group he was running with.

I think that's one of the rare cases when I had a great deal of fun watching him die repeatedly. (I already have a "no healing huntards who pull aggro" rule, but with him I got to enjoy it.)|||2F... I've run with mages in 5 mans a few times and they do pull about 2k pretty easily. I pull about 1400. One thing that helps mages is that you can AoE virtually every trash pull. That doesn't work for some classes who get their dps on single target. If you hit 3 targets every second for 700.... you do 2100dps for that pull. The single target dps toon can't do that... even though they might be able to put out more dps on one mob, it's on a single mob. Of course, this is where using Blade Flurry (for a rogue) Death & Decay (for a DK) etc. is advised. Too many people 'save' those cooldowns which is really underutilizing the tools you have.

Even with Mind Sear, I need to think about when to use it since it's channeled and does not damage the focused target. That means that, on a 3 mob pull, Mind Sear does dps on 2. And my dots are nice... but they're a lot of my damage and somewhat useless on trash packs of 3 since by time I finish casting them the mobs will usually be dead with few ticks off. On the other hand large trash packs aer FUN.

What will help me is higher crit (since Mind flay can crit now), but my Mind Flay ticks for about 1100, Mind Blast hits for 2500-3k (but it can crit for 6500!!) and SW:D hits for ~2k, but can crit for double. This is part of the fun of initial endgame for me... figuring out the mechanics and how I can use them to my advantage and it's something I think every class needs to get a handle on. We're not in TBC anymore, so you can't assume what was good then is good now and, for DKs, we're still feeling our way a bit despite beta and some very good stuff at EJ.

I'm not making excuses... but it is worth pointing out that not all classes get to pump up numbers with AoE on every single pull. Nor am I hiding behind my gear... but after you have a good spec together and get rotations down guess what? The difference will be buffs, gear, class differences and things like using your cooldowns to the maximum.

Finally, the EJ numbers showing damage like 5.5k are fully buffed which you'll usually only see in 25 man raids. Even in 10 mans the extra buffs make a noticeable difference. I'll go back to my original contention... in heroics the issue is whether the mobs and bosses are dying without player deaths (or minimal ones) and without a decent healer running OOM. More than that is mostly epeening.|||i think we actualy agree about most points :)|||Oh no! aieeeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment