Monday, April 16, 2012

WWS vs Recount

ive always used recount to check how to better my dps. my recount is showing me miss .5% max of my specials in total and im getting about 4-5% parry/dodge.

last night a new member to the guild posted a wws report of the night. it showed me missing 3% of my specials and maybe as high as 8-9% parry/dodge attacks.

how come my recount shows such different results to wws and what reports should i foccus on to improve my dps?|||Are you recount stats overall from the entire instance? Were his stats just from one boss encounter?

The differences could be due to difference in the time/encounter tracked.

I've never done a comparative analysis, but I imagine you could use a training dummy for 5 minutes using each of the two, then compare your results.|||/agree with Suro... I'd clear the wow combat log (on your drive in the WoW folder inside /Logs), clear Recount, then go to a dummy. Turn on logging (/combatlog) and go at it for a while. I don't know if the dummies model parry/dodge behavior if you attack from behind though.

WWS is great for post-fight analysis, but the combat log has a range. it's most accurate when several people in the raid log the fights, then you combine them and upload to WWS (there are tools for automating that btw).

And like suro mentions, the fights need to be compared heads up. WWS excells in pulling out boss fights whereas recount doesn't. You can set it to log boss segments only though, so you can get an accurate idea of what you do on bosses via recount.|||In my experience WWS tends to be more accurate, but I can't really back that up with a proper analysis. It probably has a lot to do with recount opening for more human error. There are a number of good reasons to use WWS such as not having any meters spammed in raid, nobody asking for them or having any reason to, getting a bigger picture without wasting time during the raid and ofc not having to worry about resetting when you should.

Having a trash pack together with a bossfight on recount could mess up the results a lot in this case. I'll have to look into parry/dodge, but lack of hit on bosses has always been extremely accurate on WWS in my experience. To the point where I could spot swapping a gem in TBC (haven't used it much in WotLK). You can try comparing your % hit to what you're lacking to get capped and see if it matches. If the wws report is wildly off that's a start at least.|||well after tonight raid my recount wasnt to far off wws im now fully hit capped and almost exp capped aftter a few bits of loot from last nights run. wws stil shows me getting more parry/dodge than recount

wws does seem to have a better break down and helps to judge where i need to improve slightly better|||You could also try out the Recap (Hawksy) (over on curse) addon, it can show you a nice breakdown of misses & resists etc (similar info to Recount), but I prefer the info breakdown in Recap.

Downside, it (currently) can't do boss fight breakdowns automatically... but I still love the detailed info you can get out of it.|||Quote:








There are a number of good reasons to use WWS such as not having any meters spammed in raid, nobody asking for them or having any reason to, getting a bigger picture without wasting time during the raid and ofc not having to worry about resetting when you should.




Recount keeps a history of combat logs (up to 10 or 20) for each combat period, so you never have to reset constantly before boss fights at all.

As a dpser in raids, I find it *extremely* important to keep Recount active during raids. It lets me know how my performance is stacking up vs. the others in my raids, and also vs. myself in previous raids.

I don't keep the boss fight log viewable during the encounter so it doesn't distract me, but after boss fights, I can immediately see the results and analyze my own performance. (for example did I have good Living Bomb uptime, was my low performance due to poor crit rate, or cause I wasn't paying enough attention)

With WWS you can't see how you're doing until after raid. If you're trying to self-evaluate and fix performance issues mid-raid, how does that help you?

Put another way, I've gone raids without Recount active and with Recount active, and I tend to do much better when I have it active cause it forces me to pay attention to the little details of my dps a lot more.

Additionally, without recount, playing a dpser in raids is a tad boring. :P If it wasn't for vent chatter + Recount I doubt I'd even be raiding till Ulduar.|||But unless you set recount to store boss segments only, it stores trash too.|||Recount is for during the raid, just to basically judge how everyone is doing.

WWS, is for after, to look back, and see exactly how everyone did.

WWS is MUCH more accurate the recount. Recounts always kinda been buggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment