Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Preparing for raiding

I'm pretty new to WoW therefor never being in a raid (since im only lvl 66 and pre-tbc conetnt doesn't get done) I'll be raiding soonish so I'm just here to ask some information from you experianced raiders.

First of all, the first thing i'm worried about is gearing up for kara, after reading some information on wowwiki as a healer I should have +1.5k healing and 10k unbuffed, a friend tells me I should go for d3 (dungeon set 3 gear), my question here what other gear should I go for? are while I'm getting the set 3 gear will other gear drop I can use for kara? (May sound a silly question)

secondly could anyone link me to a good holy paladin spec? Heres spec I use at the moment: http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...Legion&n=Sevut I'm not so sure if it is the best PvE spec.

Also as I'm brand new to raiding I know I won't get a guild right away to I maybe proof myself as a skilled healer, but when would oyu suggest looking for a guild? Should I join PUG's till I maybe have full tier 4 then search for one?

The last few things I'd like to know is to do with the UI for raiding I know theres a forum for it, bit I think its a little more tidy if I keep it all in one post. this is my ui in AB http://i34.tinypic.com/8vop00.png . I know it's ugly, could you suggest any addons? I'm looking for a nice raid frame I like grid but for me grid is a little to complex therefor taking more time to setup, I just want someting nice and simple.

thats all for now :-D|||as for the spec, i am realy no paladin expert.

but get grid ( and clique ). set it up properly. even if it takes an entire evening. you will thank youself for the time you took when you have worked things out. it is a amazing addon.|||You can easily get crafted gear, quest rewards, and normal instance drops that will start you off with raiding. gem them, enchant them, and heck, even go for some mail items. Holy pally? you're not building a tank so you can drop down to mail gear if the stats are right.

Gems to look out for: ones that give you int, mp5, healing, or a combination of all three. not too sure about spell crit.

Enchants: same as above.

Glyph: shoulders: inscription of oracle or faith, from scryers or aldor, respectively. head: Glyph of renewal from thrallmar/honorhold.

Magister's armor kits add mp5.

Legs: silver or golden spellthreads give +heals and stamina.

you dont need a whole lot to jump into kara, but it will take you a while to actually get through all of it. you might also want to do heroics. drops are better than normal instances, and you get badges, in which you can trade in for kara-comparable or better gear.|||gues I should try grid out i currently have clique for dispelling and it's a nice addon.

Wow, thanks that really helps, thought I was going to be farming for gear for a few weeks to start raiding. Also glad oyu mentiond the gem thing aswell as I'm always unsure about if to get spell crit.|||Quote:








gues I should try grid out i currently have clique for dispelling and it's a nice addon.

Wow, thanks that really helps, thought I was going to be farming for gear for a few weeks to start raiding. Also glad oyu mentiond the gem thing aswell as I'm always unsure about if to get spell crit.




read around on the paladin section of the board, there is a lot of information there.

if you still have questions after that, post a thread there, you will get more expert advise :)|||So... I won't address gear as I've not got a pally... but I will address two very important things.

1) You're not ina guild. Find one. I have no idea why you're not in one, but a good guild is the easiest way to get runs etc. Depending on your server you can find good Kara pugs... but get in a guild. I actually don't get people whose mains are unguilded.

2) What instance experience do you have? If not a lot, run instances. As many as you can. Learn how to heal in a group... how not to pull aggro, how to keep the tank up, then how to keep the tank and dps up. If you've been hitting instances a bunch, great. Hit heroics when you ding 70... they're good prep for Kara, they sometimes have gear for you and they will prepare you for healing in places where the mobs hit harder and the fights last a bit longer.

Oh and for grid... WoWinsider has a very good article on how to configure it... it's here.|||Go through all the reputation faction rewards and look for the factions that give you items you want. For example, Honor Hold revered, gives you the head enchant for +healing.|||Quote:








First of all, the first thing i'm worried about is gearing up for kara, after reading some information on wowwiki as a healer I should have +1.5k healing and 10k unbuffed, a friend tells me I should go for d3 (dungeon set 3 gear), my question here what other gear should I go for? are while I'm getting the set 3 gear will other gear drop I can use for kara? (May sound a silly question)




I'm guessing from what you say later that you're a paladin, and intending to heal.

In that case:

- 1.5k +heal would be nice, but in the early part of kara you'd be fine with 1.2k or so, and even later on if you have 3 healers and the others are better geared.

- Don't worry about 10k unbuffed health. Obviously it's nice, but don't gimp yourself for it. You need to be able to hit 10k buffed for one fight; if necessary you can swap gear to achieve that.

- Don't bother with the dungeon 3 set, it's pretty poor as a healing set. Get [item]The Essence Focusser[/item] and [item]Crystal Pulse Shield[/item], which should both be available on the AH pretty cheaply nowadays. Get yourself into good +healing blues from the lvl 70 instances.

Your spec looks fine - personally I'd do a few things differently but you have the important stuff.


Quote:








The last few things I'd like to know is to do with the UI for raiding I know theres a forum for it, bit I think its a little more tidy if I keep it all in one post.




Mostly up to you, but things that I regard as essential for a healing paladin:

1. Ora2. Most raid groups will insist on it.

2. Good raid frames. I like Grid (it is worth spending the time to set it up and get used to it), some prefer Healbot.

3. Pally Power. If you don't have it you're just causing the other paladins grief.

4. A way of seeing who needs to have a disease/poision/magic removed from them. Grid will handle this, or you can use something else.

5. A fast way of casting heals. I like to use Clique to click-cast on my raid frames, others have other ways.|||Khorium set is a good starting point, the S1(now S2) PVP healing mace is excellent until you get a Kara Mace even then its comparable. My Pally has cleared Kara and im still using my pvp mace with the + heals chant (been unlucky on the drops )

Void slayer tunic from dimensus the all devouring quest in netherstorm, its mail but adds + 88 heals.

Mask of penance - from Steam vaults its mail but gives +66 add the glyph from thrallmar rep wil give u total of +100 heals

You should be fine with the below stats as long as the Tank has at least minimum Stats

Holy Pally

Unbuffed:

Healing: 1100 (early Kara), 1500+ (later Kara)

MP5: 80 MP5 while casting (early Kara), 100 MP5 (later Kara)

Spell Crit: 12% (early Kara), 15%+ (later Kara)

Warrior Protection

Unbuffed:

Defense: 490 minimum

Armor: 11k (early Kara), 15k+ (later Kara)

Health: around 10.5k (early Kara); as much as possible (later Kara)

Dodge, Parry, and Block % should be as high as possible

If Your tank isnt uncrushable you will really struggle in Kara to keep them up.

Make sure you are a tank healer not a raid healer.

Throw some mana oil on ur wep , and eat some fish sticks or other + heals buffs and you should be ok with some practice in OL instances.

the biggest issue with a pally healer (slow first main heal)on min stats is that the tank can be dead before you get off a big heal, make sure u learn when to preheal on the pull, u can always cancel it if the tank didnt take damage.

Unfortunatley in 5 mans Pally healers can struggle in messy situations were the whole group is copping damage, use divine favor(instant and gives next heal 100% crit) with holy shock (instant) on the casters if one is getting hit, then go back to tank healing.

Healbot is a really nice and simple Raid heal addon in conjunction with decurse.

Spec, I cant see yours ATM (at work) but you must get to the end of the Holy tree to get Divine illumination (reduce mana cost by 50% on all spells for 15 sec), Lots of groups like the Blessing of Kings you would need to go 12 points into Prot to get this, so you would be looking at 49/12/0. Or you can go with out the BoK and go full holy.

Good luck, once you get it sorted Holy Pallies are a lot of fun.|||Start picking up some arena points once you hit 70. Doesn't matter what gear you have, just get as many people as possible and do 10 matches. Doing 5vs5 will grant you a decent amount of points even if you lose 10 matches. Just don't get tempted to do more if you're losing all of them ;) 3-4 weeks at 1400-1500 rating (you start out at 1500) and you'll have

[item]Vengeful Gladiator's Ornamented Gloves[/item]

They'd be pretty high on my list if I was gearing up a new paladin.

A good healing weapon will also help a ton and I'd even argue the Merciless Gladiator's Salvation now available for honor comes out ahead of the one dropping from the last boss in Karazhan. Farming that honor will save you a huge amount of badges and the other honor gear is a lot easier to replace if you're aiming for PvE. I'd start out with a Essence Focuser+Crystal pulse off AH as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment